Z dziejów Katedry, a później Zakładu Prawa Rzymskiego Uniwersytetu Wrocławskiego (1945–2015)
FROM THE HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT AND THEN
THE DIVISION OF ROMAN LAW 1945–2015
This article was written to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the reactivation of the University of Wrocław as a Polish State School. The article tells the story of the Department of Roman Law since the Second World War. The first professor who started teaching Roman Law — Wacław Osuchowski — came, like many other professors, from Lvov. Officially, the Department of Roman Law was established by the Decree of the Minister of Education of 30 April 1946. Many distinguished scholars have been associated with the Department of Roman Law in Wrocław. These include Professor Michał Wyszyński and Prsofessor Michał Staszków. The first change in the Department occurred in 1949, when Wacław Osuchowski was replaced as its head by Jerzy Falenciak. When Jerzy Falenciak went to work in the new Laboratory of Manuscripts and Early Printed Books in 1975, the Division of Roman Law had two working assistant professors — Edward Szymoszek and Ireneusz Żeber. Edward Szymoszek became the next head of the Division and held this position until his death in 2006. Presently the Division of Roman Law is headed by Professor Jarosław Rominkiewicz. The scientific research of members of the Division focuses generally on Roman Law, ius commune and Greek law.