Murmańczykami ich zwali, czyli udział polskich żołnierzy w rosyjskiej wojnie domowej na dalekiej północy (1918–1919)
A Polish military unit in northern Russia was formed on the Kola Peninsula near Murmansk under an agreement signed in Moscow on 1st July 1918 with representatives of the Allies. This was the only place where Allied units were to be found and could provide supplies and organisational base for the Polish units. The new formation was one of the first Polish formations, which in the aftermath of the Battle of Kaniv (11th May 1918) and the capitulation of the 1st Corps (May–June 1918) began to reorganise themselves. As early as in June 1918 soldiers from the dissolved Polish groups began to be directed to the Murmansk region. From May 1919 the formation was actively involved in the fights against the Bolsheviks. In view of the political situation in autumn that year the United Kingdom decided to leave northern Russia. On 18th September the Polish formation returned from the front to Arkhangelsk, from where on 20th September it set off for Gdańsk on board of a ship. In January 1920 it was incorporated, as the 3rd Battalion, into the 64th Infantry Regiment, with which it took part in the Polish-Bolshevik War.