PRO USU ET ERUDITIONE. THE LIBRARY OF THE WEJHEROWO PARISH PRIEST FRANCISZEK WALENTY RUTHEN FROM THE LATE 17TH AND EARLY 18TH CENTURY
Franciszek Walenty Ruthen 1674–1734 has his place in the history of Kashubia and Pomerania, especially Wejherowo. He was an eminent parish priest, who amassed a large private library collection 107 books have survived to this day and are kept in the Library of the Pelplin Seminary, the Kórnik Library of the Polish Academy of Sciences and the Gdańsk Library of the Polish Academy of Sciences. The contents of the collection reflect Ruthen’s education, profession as well as his private interests and ambitions. Ruthen collected books that were useful in his pastoral work, in expanding his theological and historical knowledge as well as general erudition. He supplemented his collection with excerpts from various works, his own translations of religious texts, and, following the example of his predecessors in the parish of Wejherowo, texts supporting the development of the local Calvary cult.